Saturday, March 27, 2010

Just Call Me "Crash"

So there I was. Driving home from a gig about an hour away and starving because I'd been up since 4:00 am with nothing of any substance to eat yet. I spied a McDonalds on the other side of a four lane street and found a spot to turn in just past it. I got through the traffic without getting clipped and looked to my left to see if I needed to get back out in to traffic or if I could just thread my way down through the parking lot.

Then this happened:

I heard Cruuuuuuuuuuuuunch! and thought, "Crap, I hit a shopping cart" but then realized I wasn't moving and turned to find a telephone pole had worked its way right up close to my dash board. I limped the truck back off it and into a parking spot and got out to check things out. I took a couple pictures and sent one off to Effbook because hey, own it, I say.

Here's the layout of this particular patch of parking lot:
The pole must have been in the A-post blind spot as I turned left into the lot because I blithely aimed my truck where one would usually pilot a vehicle in a parking lot. Between the rows of stripes. I was looking off to my left where I was heading. Except in this particular parking lot there happens to be a large pole right in the middle of the lane. One with a good deal of electricity supported on its upper reaches and not a bollard anywhere around it nor a drop of marker paint. You can tell it gets clipped all the time, my ding wasn't the only one.

Fortunately I was going less than ten miles an hour so the air bags didn't go off. The seat belt didn't even lock up. Unfortunately I had a trailer packed solid with sound gear behind me that approximately doubles the mass of the vehicle. Sans trailer I would have likely just needed a new bumper. With the extra momentum, I'm screwed. It may be a total loss.

So that happened.

Subscribe

5 comments:

Middle Aged Woman said...

Dear Crash...I am assuming you are not hurt...and I'm very grateful for that. Trucks can be replaced. Good Misters are hard to find.

Irish Gumbo said...

Ditto what MAW said. Yikes!

And what numbskull planned that parking lot? Sheesh!

JoAnna said...

What they said... glad you're ok. If it makes you feel any better, my uncle did the same thing with his company SUV in a grocery store parking lot. He was so embarrassed.

Kailey said...

Wowzer! I'm glad you're ok.

Maybe you should bring this picture to someone's attention so they'll paint the post....or maybe you can do a drive-by paint job in the middle of the night as a public service. *shrugs*

Eglin Clan said...

Ooh. I really like the drive-by idea.