Monday, March 8, 2010

In The Details

Scroll down one post if you clicked over here from The Dayton Time religion post.

I was just thinking about how social media come and go. Time was when to really be a hipster in the cyber-community you had to be on AOL. (shudder) I'll leave the reminiscences of the dark ages (IRC) for another time. Fast forward through ICQ, Yahoo, MySpace and so on and now it seems if you ain''t on Effbook and Twitter you're out in the cold.

But that's not what got me thinking. There's all these forums for digital photos now too. I'm not the shutterbug in the family so I have almost nothing to do with them. Apart from the few hundred snaps in my phone I don't have much to do with the photo documentation of our life. But it's a huge thing for me.

Looking back at the photo albums my parents have from when I was growing up you can easily see how a year-in-the-life translated almost exactly to one roll . An average of two frames per month of Kodak Gold 200 is all the imagery I have to look back on. Having a wife with a good camera who knows how to use it is such a blessing. She's the type of person who will take 2000 pictures throughout the kids' soccer season and cull the herd down to thirty really amazing shots.

The big fun for me is sifting through all the dregs though. Looking back at shots of my family growing up everyone else glances at a group of relatives in the kitchen around a birthday cake and remembers when Junior turned four. I look at the same picture and say, "Huh, I remember that blender..." And my eyes continue to hunt and peck around the periphery, taking in a snippet of wall paper and a dash of cabinet door handles along with a healthy dose of Grandma's horn rims and I'm solidly, vividly back in my childhood days. So a huge folder packed with failed shots are a treasure trove to me.

My mother's photo albums consist almost entirely of posed shots of everyone available arranged in ranks in front of whatever significant scenery was available. Pictures of backyard birthday parties don't look much different than trips to France. Catching the good bits is kind of tough. How much better to look back in twenty years and see all the odd angles of daily living and catch a glimpse of an annoyed toddler next to a stack of long gone books with a few branches from the dearly departed Maple tree peeking in the window!



Subscribe

3 comments:

Kailey said...

What a great post. I wholeheartedly agree. I always say that if I had to take one thing out of my burning house (besides the fuzzbuckets) it would be my pictures. They mean the world to me.

Fragrant Liar said...

So true. All the posed shots. We have many a posed shot in our gazillion photo albums too. I prefer the ones taken when nobody is looking. THAT is real life captured.

brett said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.