Sunday, March 7, 2010

God And Stuff

The Missus is fielding questions about faith on her last post and linked to mine. While neither of us tend to go on at length on the subject it's worth bringing it up once in a while. So fire away in the comment section. I'll lay it down a little to get things started.

Yes, I'm sure there's a God.

Yes, I know there are thousands of examples of people doing heinous things in the name of religion and my best guess is that they are all getting what they deserve.

I likely don't know a single answer to any questions about communion or saints or anything else much in the way of true theological thought. My faith tells me to love my God and my neighbor so I've just been working on that.

In fact, there's not much that's overtly Christian about me. I'm "churchy" enough to make guys at work a little nervous and worldly enough to make people at church nervous. The thing is that I'm the same guy every day of the week and that's all there is to it. My goal is just to live my life in a manner that God would find pleasing and not crow about it too much. If somebody figures out what it is about me that's different and asks about it, then it's time for a conversation.

Quite often the answer goes like this, "You know me. Do you think I would do this if it sucked? Do you think I would take on this label if it wasn't worth it?"

Subscribe

4 comments:

Irish Gumbo said...

Probably the best summery of personal faith I have ever read.

Salute! *clink*

Kailey said...

I completely agree with Irish Gumbo. That would probably sum up how I feel as well.

The Mister said...

Amen! *clink*

Which reminds me of another thing. In my world view it is perfectly acceptable to have theological discussions in bars, although not after the second pint.

vanessa said...

you are "enough" and I am honored to know you and call you friend!