Saturday, February 13, 2010

It's That Time Again

Ahhhh, the Olympics are here! I'm about to turn into a sports junky. It only happens for twenty days at a time every two years so The Missus is very forgiving. NASCAR and football and all those other sports the participants of which used to beat me up in high school can go whistle.

I grew up in the North. Wide World of Sports carried winter sports every Saturday growing up. My ancestry is partially from France and Scotland so I've got a bit in common with Canadians. (Did anybody else get goosebumps when the stage filled with fiddlers and steppers in tartan during the opening ceremony?)

This is my time. My time to watch athletes without sponsorships compete the way I used to. With friends. For the joy of it. To match themselves against the best and see how they measure up. This is my chance to use the magic box (TV) to teach my children about competition and fair play. Time to watch their eyes grow big seeing how people from other countries live, how they are so different yet so alike.

It's time to see if the curling finals turn into another nail-biting, jump up and shout style event. Time to watch they joyous straining of people doing their best. Time to get all choked up when deserving athletes take the podium. This is a sweet time.

Subscribe

2 comments:

tysdaddy said...

I first witnessed the spectacle that is curling after moving to Minnesota for college. It's quite amazing, actually . . .

We do love the Olympics. My wife, mostly because of Apolo . . .

Me? I just with Katarina Witt was still competing. I could watch her skate ALL day!

Enjoy . . .

Kailey said...

I love the olympics too. It really does bring the world closer together.