Monday, February 1, 2010

Daddy Daycare

I found myself at home with the baby today on an unexpected day off. The Missus took the ambulatory short people on a field trip so I was left to my own devices. Since I know what's good for me that involves a good deal of cleaning before they return.

After loading the dishwasher and getting some laundry going I turned to some more difficult tasks that are generally impossible with a house full of people. We've got a flat top electric stove which was supposed to be the very pinnacle of modern cleanliness in the kitchen. What that really means is that any minuscule amount of spillage immediately bakes on hard as diamonds and resists all attempts to clean it.

The only method to safely remove this gunk is with a manufacturer approved scrubby pad and polishing compound. Well, the scrubby has long since disappeared and the little bottle is empty. Hence the stove top having a good deal more baked on gunk than ultra-modern sleekness showing. Not to be deterred I put the mind of a highly trained maintenance mechanic on the case (mine, smartass).

Well, it didn't take long for something to pop up. I grabbed a swatch of Scotchbrite from the truck which is almost, but not quite, identical to the manufacture approved scrubby pad. The warranty is done with anyway, what could possibly go wrong I ask you. Now for the polishing compound. Toothpaste folks. It works wonders. In ten minutes I had that stove looking the very picture of minty freshness (and likely with a greatly reduced probability of cavities as well!).

And the angelic chorus did sing, and a heavenly light did bathe the cook top. And The Missus shall smile upon her heroic knight upon her return to a somewhat more sparkley castle.

Subscribe

1 comment:

Irish Gumbo said...

Toothpaste and Scotchbrite? That, my good man, is genius...and we are there! :)