Thursday, September 17, 2009

End Of An Era

I was just browsing on Effbook before I went to bed the other night and out of the mess popped this eloquent post by my lighting guy. I've never known him to get all wordy before and I must say I was quite impressed. I think there's a blogger in there, struggling to get out. Here is his post, un-edited, in its entirety:

I just looked through my friends profiles on Myspace and it's a weird eerie feeling. Almost as if there was a plague that wiped the world out... I'd say more than half my friends haven't logged into their account in months, some over a year or more. It got me thinking. If the world ended tomorrow, we would all leave behind these pages, these moments in time of our lives.

It's a creepy feeling to see that people have just stopped using the site all together. And all that is left is the last moments, thoughts, and pictures that we shared with each other. It's hard to fathom that people could just drop something they were madly addicted to just like that. Only to be replace with Facebook. It's a weird trend that I never saw coming to be honest.

A year ago, I thought about what it would be like to be 80 years old and how we would all still be using Myspace to keep in touch. How life would be so much different for us than for our Grandparents generation. I thought about how sad it would be to see profiles of our friends still accessible, even long after they have passed on. It would almost be a living/breathing tombstone of some sort that we can stop by and remember the good old times without even leaving our homes.

It's making me feel old. I'm losing trust and faith in intangible things that have controlled my everyday life for the past 7 years. It makes me wonder what will be the next new great thing... I'm excited and saddened at the same time and I'm not exactly 100% sure why...

I asked a few people why that they switched over to completely Facebook over Myspace and the only answer I got was, "that's what everyone else is using now."

If anyone happens to know who the Leader of "Everyone" is, let me know, I have a few other questions for them.

Subscribe

2 comments:

tysdaddy said...

This is good. And thoughtful.

I have given my wife my logins and whatnot for all my online stuff, and have contemplated writing a post or status update for when I die. Creepy? I suppose so. I hope I die quickly . . . just not soon.

Irish Gumbo said...

(clapclapclap) Bravo! Well said.

And I thought I was done thinking for the day. Rats.