Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Love This Place

Took the kids to their soccer games tonigt at the same field I played on as a kid. Ascending the hill in the mini van is a lot nicer than cranking up it on my Huffy used to be. Waiting for the games to start I looked East over the valley that I live in and hung up for a second.

I. Love. This. Place.

With the field in front of me, tall, tasseled corn to my right and deep woods to my left I looked out over the patchwork of fields and forest. Late summer cumulus clouds threw the landscape into stark relief as they tumbled slowly off to the East.

I've lived elsewhere, I've roamed, I like being on the road. But like comedy without tragedy, like love without loss, there is no wider world without home. There is a deep, peaceful joy that settles in me when I take notice of where I am. When I drive these roads, when I see these hills, when I am tucked safely in under the boughs of sugar maples... I'm home.

P.S. Much love and prayer goin' out for mah man Irish Gumbo.

Subscribe

3 comments:

Middle Aged Woman said...

Home is a very good place to be.

Irish Gumbo said...

I'm longing for home, my friend, in a deep, deep way...good on ya, and (swallowslumpinthroat) thank you, thank you for the love and prayers.

Peace,
IG

Coelecanth said...

I envy you your sense of place. I've been rootless for a long time now, perhaps my whole life. The price you pay for growing up on the west coast I suspect. But now I'm on the other side of the world from my home of the last 20 years, and that home was a long way physically and emotionally from where I grew up. All this distance has taught me something. For the moment at least my home is wherever my wife and child are.

This literally true to the point where I feel instantly comfortable in any hotel room we're all staying in but if Claire and Em are away, our house feels weirdly anonymous. We're planning on building something in the next year so I hope that will help. We'll see.

And now I'm going to bed. Either you've got to stop posting things I have something to say about or I've got to keep up a little better. :)