Friday, July 31, 2009

Take Back The Beep

"Hi this is Jon Dayton at BNB Sound, it's probably just too loud for me to hear the phone ringing so leave me a message and I'll get right back to you. Thanks... At the tone, please record your message. When you have finished recording, you may hang up, or press one for more options. To leave a callback number, press five. (Beep)"

That's what it's like to leave me a message when I don't answer my phone. I only have a cell phone so if you need to call me and I can't answer (which is most of the time) you'll have to burn fifteen extra seconds of your life to get to the point where you can say what you need to say and move on.

Someone has finally taken up the cause. There was an article in the New York Times on the subject encouraging people to put pressure on cell providers to change their ways. The truth is that these additional instructions can in most cases be turned off. The process is often quite involved because the providers want them there to make you use up your air time. Often you can press a key when leaving a message but it's different across providers so you have to remember which key it is for every contact you call.

The article has gotten four major providers to sit up and take notice (somewhat) and provide means to voice your opinions on line. Here are the links.

Verizon: Post a complaint here: http://bit.ly/FJncH.

AT&T: Send e-mail to: customerissues@attnews.us.

Sprint: Post a complaint here: http://bit.ly/9CmrZ

T-Mobile: Post a complaint here: http://bit.ly/2rKy0u.

Some of them are just the usual complaint forms but a flood of input is pretty hard to ignore. If you're on Twitter you can spike your tweets with #takebackthebeep and let 'em have it that way.

Not that this is a lofty crusade or anything but it would be a pretty nice accomplishment to get a little change to happen. I'm grabbing my cell phone to send out a tweet or two and then (deep breath) check my voicemail.

Subscribe

5 comments:

Middle Aged Woman said...

For Verizon, just press one. It will take you past all the crapola.

Captain Dumbass said...

Ok, how about Canadian providers? LOL. I hate how long it takes you to get back to the damn messages when you get them.

Irish Gumbo said...

I never really thought about that. Hmmm. I want my time back! (shaking fist, sipping beer, er, tea)

Middle Aged Woman said...

Call it Kismet. A friend just sent me this link...

http://smarterware.org/2570/one-star-pound-bypasses-needless-voicemail-instructions

ChurchPunkMom said...

That 15sec is part of why I don't leave many voicemails.. Not fond of waiting. ;)

Hello. How are you?