Monday, July 6, 2009

Summertime Roll

I achieved a level of suspension of disbelief that even a production geek has a hard time reaching this morning. In real life it's pretty hard to just enjoy stuff. There's always the list of nagging chores, and blah blah blah in the background.

Well, I woke up early this morning and called into work. Then I went back to sleep because yesterday I had a throbbing headache all day and Miss O had to go to the hospital in the big city to make sure she didn't have meningitis. (She doesn't, just a virus and a crick in her neck. But we play it safe with the health of our Short Peoples' brains.)

When I woke up it was just me and the boys. We ate some cereal and went outside. I wound up sitting in a chair, in a sunny spot by a Maple tree, the smaller of the two monkeys in my lap just soaking up the summer. It only went on for about twenty minutes but I found myself on the other end of a host of memories from my childhood.

My earliest memories are of breakfast and heading outside with Mom, who was a school teacher and off for the summer, and wandering around our sun drenched yard. They're just fuzzy memories with dashes of clarity. Grass, tulips, Maple trees, Mom. (I started capitalizing Maple trees because they are important to me.)

Now I know what it feels like to be the grownup in those scenes. For a few minutes it was just me and some small people, trees, grass, breeze, a distant lawn mower. A big truck on the next street caught our interest. The first ripe black berries grabbed our attention. Then the girls woke up and needed our presence.

But the morning of July 6, 2009 is firmly planted in red letters on the calendar in my mind. A morning so ripe with goodness and the endless possibilities of childhood that it nearly made me shed a tear. I might have if it weren't for the intense waves of happiness that washed over me. Bare feet. Buzz cuts. Tickles.

I'm so high.

Subscribe

4 comments:

Kate said...

What a great story. I love things that bring back great childhood memories.

ChurchPunkMom said...

awesome.

Irish Gumbo said...

Mister:

That is one for the record books. Beautiful...I want a day like that..and it sounds like you were about due for it!

Peace,
IG

Jill said...

*big sigh*