Wednesday, July 8, 2009

iPod or Lightsaber

I got an iPod touch for Christmas this year. It was a thoughtful gift from The Missus. I figured I would get some use out of the internet with it but I had no idea. What a sexy little device it is. All these helpful applications. Read the New York Times at breakfast, sure. Look up something on Wikipedia, no problem. Check gas prices, the weather, no end of games for the kids, and having the whole internet on a card that fits in my pocket is just bliss.

But more than that there's the deep joy that comes from owning a device that has leapt from the pages of the sci-fi books I used to read as a kid. At that age I never would have dreamed that this much power and information could fit in the palm of my hand, or that you could get them at Wal-Mart. Captain Kirk's tricorder is a clunky gizmo by comparison.

I had a little moment when I was tweeting on a break today. I looked at this little technological jewel in my hand and saw past the glitter of the information age. The screen was all smudgy from the Short People playing with it. The case is all scratched and foggy from riding around with me. It has that "lived-in" look that the creators of Star Wars spent so much time simulating.

I slipped it back in my pocket, daydreaming about the Cantina scene and Isaac Asimov. Han Solo's light saber hasn't got anything on my iPod. (And no... I don't have the light saber app.)

--End gushing--

Subscribe

5 comments:

Irish Gumbo said...

Well said!

I was going to write a similar post about mine, but...

It Has Been Done. :)

I feel the same way...

出張ホスト said...

女性会員様増加につき、当サイトの出張ホストが不足中です。女性の自宅やホテルに出向き、欲望を満たすお手伝いをしてくれる男性アルバイトをただいま募集していますので、興味のある方はTOPページから無料登録をお願いいたします

家出 said...

最近様々なメディアで紹介されている家出掲示板では、全国各地のネットカフェ等を泊り歩いている家出少女のメッセージが多数書き込みされています。彼女たちはお金がないので掲示板で知り合った男性とすぐに遊びに行くようです。あなたも書き込みに返事を返してみませんか

The Mister said...

The first one in Japanese says:
Anonymous business trip host said… Concerning woman member increase, the business trip host of this site is in the midst of insufficiency. To go into the home and the hotel of the woman, because the man part-time job which does the helping which satisfies desire at present is collected, the one which has interest requests no charge register from the TOP page

The Mister said...

The second one says:
Anonymous leaving home said… Recently, in the leaving home bulletin board which is introduced with the various media, you stay and message of the leaving home girl whom you are walking the net coffee and the like of all parts of the country is written in large number. Because she there is no money, it seems that directly goes to play with the man who knows each other with the bulletin board. Don't you try returning the reply to entry?