Sunday, July 19, 2009

Happy Burf Day To Me

Thirty-three for anyone who's wondering... moving on. I just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone who sent me electronic birthday wishes. A lot of people look down their nose at such things but I find the dozen text messages and thirty thee (odd huh?) well wishes on Facebook to be quite heartwarming.

Having only gotten a couple traditional cards this year, some with nothing more than a name hastily scribbled inside, receiving personalized electronic missives is changing my view of things. For instance, I got one from the CEO of the hospital where I work. That was one of the ones with my name in pen above the printed birthday wishes and his below. Not exactly a heartwarming exchange at first glance, but the guy sends out eight hundred of those a year when he doesn't really have to send anything. Slightly less exciting than that was the same treatment from my mother-in-law.

Then there were close to fifty electronic messages that honestly for the most part were caused by a reminder from Facebook. Considering that those folks likely gets hundreds of birthday reminders a year and took a moment to peck out a few words for me that's pretty nice too. I think I'll be a little more engaged with that myself this year.

And one final (unrelated) item that needs getting out. I hate Pork Pie snare drums. There is just no reason at all to even own one. I remember years ago when they came out wondering why in the hell anyone would need a drum that sounds just like a piccolo snare but ten times louder. And owners of Pork Pies are always super excited about them. When I hear the first couple warning shots on one and say, "Pork Pie eh?" the response is always something similar to what you would expect from a guy who is tapping his secretary and isn't shy about who knows it... "awwwww yeah."

So then I have a performance to try and mix that has snare drum bleeding into every microphone. Usually I can turn off quite a few mics and still have way more snare than I want. And so does everybody else. I'm actually thinking of buying a piccolo and keeping it in the truck for just such occasions. "Here ya go buddy, you can play mine or get off the stage. See? It sounds just like yours but it's not louder than BOMBS!"

End rant. Happy Burf Day to me.

Subscribe

7 comments:

Jill said...

Happy Birthday cuz, it our anniversary today and cousin Jessie Woodhouse's birthday today too! YOu are so special to all share the same day

Irish Gumbo said...

Hey, mon! Happy Birthday! 33, huh? Jeez, you kids, getting younger every year...

Hope all is well in Mister land!

Peace,
IG

Larry3 said...

i agree. those Porkers need to be slaughtered!
i tried to leave you a good memories birthday wish.
i'm too poor to send a card. maybe when you get as old as Beckler...you'll get the lucky paper edition.

Coelecanth said...

Happy Birthday in a belated sorta way. 33? Why you're just a puppy!

I played with a drummer who had to hit everything as hard as he could all the time. It looked like a sawmill around his drum throne with all the shredded sticks. The lead guitarist would turn up his amp to compete. Between the two of them the house mix was uncontrollable and the vocals inaudible. I think small venues should have plexi-glass baffles around the drum riser as standard equipment. That way long suffering sound techs would stand a fighting chance of getting it right on the floor.

KPN said...

滷味加盟 滷味宅配 滷味批發 滷味食材 滷雞翅 10滷雞腳 魯味 店面出租 店面出售 店面租賃 租店面 租辦公室 買辦公室 店面出租 皮膚科 皮膚科診所 肉毒桿菌 肉毒桿菌瘦臉 柔膚雷射 玻尿酸 飛梭雷射 脈衝光 除斑 iso iso認證 Ohsas 18001 品質管理 教育訓練 台北搬家公司 桃園搬家公司 搬家公司 新竹搬家公司 搬家公司 整形 整形 韓風整形 韓風整形 早餐店加盟 創業加盟店 創業開店 開店創業 巴里島 牙周病 牙周病治療方法 牙齒美白 植牙 植牙費用 沙發 上順旅行社 大興旅行社 五福旅行社 天喜旅行社 天福旅行社 日本自由行 日本訂房 日本旅行社 日本旅遊 日本機票 洗包包

KPN said...

公益彩券 公益團體 捐款 健康食品 慈善 11慈善基金會 慈善機構 愛心捐款 義賣 義賣活動 全身健康檢查 肝癌 身體檢查 健康檢查 乳癌 外遇 徵信社 徵信 Odm Oem代工廠 塑膠射出 塑膠射出成型 塑膠射出模具 模具 模具設計 模具廠 室內設計 裝潢 工商登記 公司登記 投審會 會計師 會計師事務所 OBU 素食月子餐 網頁設計 網頁設計公司 seo 關鍵字廣告 網路行銷 網路廣告 水餃 台北素食餐廳 吃素 素食 素食水餃 素食餐廳 健康飲食 團購美食 素食食譜 素食料理 麻糬
團購美食 彌月禮盒 交友 相親 相親銀行

KPN said...

滷味加盟 滷味宅配 滷味批發 滷味食材 滷雞翅 12滷雞腳 魯味 店面出租 店面出售 店面租賃 租店面 租辦公室 買辦公室 店面出租 皮膚科 皮膚科診所 肉毒桿菌 肉毒桿菌瘦臉 柔膚雷射 玻尿酸 飛梭雷射 脈衝光 除斑 iso iso認證 Ohsas 18001 品質管理 教育訓練 台北搬家公司 桃園搬家公司 搬家公司 新竹搬家公司 搬家公司 整形 整形 韓風整形 韓風整形 早餐店加盟 創業加盟店 創業開店 開店創業 巴里島 牙周病 牙周病治療方法 牙齒美白 植牙 植牙費用 沙發 上順旅行社 大興旅行社 五福旅行社 天喜旅行社 天福旅行社 日本自由行 日本訂房 日本旅行社 日本旅遊 日本機票 洗包包