Saturday, March 21, 2009

Bright Side

The fam is nuts. The kids are exhausted, The Missus is nine months preggers and at that point where she's really just over it and ready to go into labor already. Miss O is constantly on the brink of flipping out. J-Man will not listen to a single word spoken to him, good or bad. Poor little H-Bomb has a fever and his little noggin is hot enough to cook an egg on.

People all around keep giving me the same response when they find out how many kids we have and that we're about to have one more.

"You're NUTS!"

That's the usual response. I usually just shrug and tell them they're right. I don't agree though. I think most people are just so caught up in themselves that they can't imagine putting their extra time into more kids. I understand to an extent. We've already cut out TV for grownups, vacations, family outings for anything but shopping and free activities, a good deal of sleep and any number of luxury items. One friend of mine is absolutely dead set against having kids because he can't bear the idea of spending his "toy money" on diapers and missing out on hunting season to watch Sesame Street.

Like anything else though, you get used to it. When it comes right down to it nobody really needs a fancy vacation or bigger TV. There's not much on TV anyway. When I think about all the nice moments I've had with the kids the rest of it just doesn't matter so much. Now that the majority of them are able to speak with us and are developing a sense of humor, you can't tell me that there's something better on TV than swapping chicken and monkey jokes with the Short People.

Even my poor downtrodden Missus will immediately break forth with the heartwarming tales, no matter how awful the Shorties are to her sometimes. Being at home with the kids 24/7 can certainly be a drag, but there's a lot of really good moments in there that I miss out on when I'm off at work.

And besides all that, there's one other good reason to have a good sized flock. The more kids we have, the more likely it is that one of them will hit it big and be able to take care of us in our old age. It's not like we're able to save a dime now, it's pretty much going to be up to those guys when the time comes.

So to all of you out there who wouldn't dream of trading in your Beamer for a mini-van, and shudder at the thought of swapping vacations in the islands for trips to the amusement park...

You think you know... but you have no idea.

Subscribe

5 comments:

mo.stoneskin said...

We're only having kids so that they can support us in our old age.

[kidding]

I can't wait till my littlun develops a sense of humour.

For real I mean, so we can share a joke. Sometimes when she smiles I think I sense a teeny bit of sarcasm. A look of "yeah, real funny Daddy".

Irish Gumbo said...

Bro...*sniff*...I was in a bit of a funk this weekend...and then I read your post.

*sniff*

My friend, you have officially adjusted my perspective for the better. Good stuff.

Blessings to you and the tribe. You are a good man, Mister. :)

Julia said...

I'm happy for you guys! I'm of the point of view that if people want kids, they should have them :-) Me? I'm not having any. That's just my choice, but I'm never going to tell anyone not to have kids. I hope I get to meet the short ones some day (and you!) :-)

The Mister said...

@ Gumbo - Thanks. Feeling a bit down despite the optimistic post.

@ Julia - I'm really excited about meeting people I've met through the blog. I'm wondering who will be the first.

Jill said...

Thanks for that refreshing reminder! Amen, Brother!