Saturday, February 7, 2009

Words On My Mind

I haven't been writing as much because I'm on a show this week. As usual, in between fixing minor catastrophes and mixing the show my head is pretty full. Despite this though I'm always amazed at the ability of a show to draw me in.

There's already quite a bit of suspension of disbelief that goes on when you go to see a show in person. There are no special effects, no camera tricks, just people on stage. And yet your mind will allow itself to be suckered in and get totally absorbed in the story. Even in my position at the sound board, knowing full well what a potemkin village we have contrived, I get sucked in. The fact that the office is cardboard and the furniture is from Wal-Mart slides by me.

A cool thing that happens at the end of Act II is that one of the characters does a solo that recaps the whole play up to that point. (It's The Producers, the scene where Max is in jail) In about thirty-two bars he covers two hours of material and somehow your brain fills in the rest. It's just unbelievable, the power of the human mind and the glorious ability of playwrights and authors to tap into it for our entertainment.

Subscribe

1 comment:

Irish Gumbo said...

What a wonderful post! And you did it while being pretty busy, it seems. Salute!

And that ability to tap into the power of the human mind? Yeah, I'm relying pretty heavily on that, it could end up being my bread and butter...:)