Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Still Alive

I figure I had better get a post up so people don't think I fell off the world. Now that I'm finished with two weeks of theater production I'm down to just working extra hours at the hospital to finish up the big remodel. The Department of Health comes on Friday to sign off on it and it's got to be done.

After putting up with seeing me only in sporadic half hour bursts or sometimes not at all during the show, the Short People are pretty glad to see me. Except that little H-Bomb just says he misses me and then goes right back to only having eyes for The Missus. He's doing that thing where little kids realize there's about to be another baby in the house and they get extra clingy with Mommy.

J-Man is pretty glad to have me around because that means that my iPod Touch is around too and he can play the drawing game and the bwocks (blocks) game and the rowing (rolling) game. He also has lots of stuff to tell me about everything. So much so that it's hard to get a word in edgewise.

And Miss O is still dealing with the trauma mosly by being catty but she and I have gotten in some good laughs too. She's developing quite the sense of humor and is starting to understand that it's OK when grown-ups laugh at things she says. Tonight I was reading to her from Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates and I burped at the end of a sentence. "Is THAT what it SAYS?" We had a good guffaw.

And The Missus. My poor, tired, climbed-upon-by-short-people Missus. Somehow she's holding up. When day after day I'm at work longer than I want to be and day after day I don't have much energy to help around the house. The end is in sight though. Tomorrow I'm finally getting by CPAP machine and expect to get my first good nights sleep in a decade just in time for the last day of the project. Between that and no more overtime for a while I hope to start making her a happy girl again.

And that's all I have time for now because the O² system is leaking again and the pressure test has to be done before tomorrow. Looks like another late night at the hospital.

Subscribe

2 comments:

Irish Gumbo said...

Is your middle name Hercules? Bro, good to hear you getting some of your life back. That's a brutal schedule, and too much time away from the Fams.

And that Missus, she is something else, yes? You lucky dog (grin).

And, she makes good bread, which makes goooood toast. Salute!

Jill said...

Hang in there Cuz, and praise the Lord for Overtime Pay! Enjoy the paycheck! I'll be praying for a break in the snow for you!