Thursday, January 15, 2009

Cold Enough For Ya!?

Those of us who live in the Northeast are bearing the taunting laughter of the rest of the country this week. Thanks to the Carhartt company you can bundle up enough to do things like: comfortably roof a house when it's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.

Yeah, phrases like "It's colder than a well-driller's ass out there today" just don't make sense to people who live below the thirty-eighth parallel. It's a yankee thing. (and I don't mean the ball team!) While I'm at it let me toss in "colder than a witch's titty" and the charming geographical description, "nothin' between us and the North Pole but a barbed wire fence, and that blew down last winter!"

I'm finding that the cold isn't the worst of it. It's the cabin fever. Between a wife, three kids and three cats it's no wonder the house is a wreck. They're tearing the place to pieces. The felines are running around in circles and yowling. Come to think of it, the Short People are doing the same. At least they're easy to entertain. Dump out a toy box or turn on PBS Kids and The Missus can catch a little break.

Speaking of breaking, hope the weather does soon. Till next time, take it easy and don't forget to bring your brass monkeys in tonight.

Subscribe

3 comments:

Irish Gumbo said...

I think my brass monkey is now a 'monkeyette', ouch...

The only one I hadn't heard was the North Pole one. For the longest time as a kid, I just thought my dad knew a lot of well drillers...

Daniels5 said...

hang in there! Were right with you...we had a manditory evacuation on the house today because the realtor was here to show it at 10 the morning...haven't heard yet...

The Mister said...

@ IG - I laughed out loud. Childhood misconceptions are a fave interest of mine. I know a few well drillers personally from being in the home biz. They inform me that the old saying is not without truthful foundations.

@ Cousin Jill - Good luck with the housing!