Thursday, October 30, 2008

How I Got To Be The Mister (Part 3)

How I Got To Be The Mister (Part 1)
How I Got To Be The Mister (Part 2)

Now we're up to the part where The Missus and I finally got together. I was staying with my folks while getting my life together. I'd like to pause briefly to say that while it does seem to be the trend for twenty-somethings to move back in with Ma and Pa, I was doing my best to be outside the norm for this group of moochers. I was getting my head straight, getting out of debt, and looking for a house. All told I was there for less than nine months.

It was time for one of my favorite events of the year, the candle light Christmas Eve service at church. If you removed every other moment and trapping of the season it would still be Christmas for me if I got to sing Silent Night by candle light in the sanctuary of the church in Alexander. The warmth of the season had me in a great mood that night. The Miss was there, wearing black velvet, to air her professionally trained voice as part of the service. I said something sound-guy-ish to her about making sure she was somewhere near a microphone for the benefit of the recording.

Afterward I got caught up with several old schoolmates who were in town for the holiday. When I ran across The Miss it turned out we were both spending a lot of time at home with our folks on the weekends. I was doing it out of an interest in not having a total lifestyle relapse and she was driving back home from Cleveland where she was teaching to try and help hold her family together. Her father was taking his sweet time leaving her mother for an inmate at the womens prison where he was a guard.

"Well," I said, "if you get tired of hangin' out with your folks we could go grab a coffee some time."

She was game and shortly thereafter I picked her up and we went to Denny's for a cuppa. I can scarcely remember a moment of it. I was dazzled. In my first year away from college I had forgotten what it was like to hang out with smart people. (Nothing against my other friends, everybody knows where they stand on that.) Her baby blues were flashing at me across the table and I was all but helpless. The only words I actually remember her saying were about something being "so cool", but I don't remember what it was because my retinas had dark spots on them from her eyes.

The weeks dragged on and we phoned and e-mailed. We of course got together every single time she was in town, which was increasingly frequent. After our first non-date we became regulars at O'Lacy's Irish Pub where we conspired to raise the price of stock for the St. James Gate Brewing Company (That's Guinness for you clear-beer types.)

Somewhere in there I thought since I was having such good fun being friends with The Miss that I should find some other folks my age to hang out with. A classmate of mine and her husband had just moved in down the street and we hung out some. But it wasn't the same. That was my first inkling that I really had it bad for The Miss. It wasn't just adult conversation and beverages with a smart Christian that was my age. There was something about those baby blues after all. There should have been some clue, we would be on the phone till all hours of the night and were not able to say goodbye. We called it "Playing The Game". I was giving her goodbye hugs that made her say, "You're a good friend" when really they were trying to say, "I'm in love with you!"

Long about Easter time she was home for an extended stay and decided to extend it a day further so we could catch a movie. Her car was a pile and she had been renting a Malibu to come home in, so we took her wheels. We went to see Blow at a theater in Rochester, which is a good forty-five minutes from home, because that's how far you have to drive to get to a real movie theater around here.

On the way home, slouched in the passenger seat, I came clean. I told her I was pretty much in love with her and was really interested in figuring out a way to make it work. Her response was, "Yeaaaaaaah, it would be better if we were just friends. I really just need a buddy right now." Which was just fine with me, oddly enough. It didn't even faze me one bit. I guess I could tell she way lying, although it wasn't a conscious thought at the time.

She dropped me off and I said good night. I remember taking a long walk and feeling just great. It was my lack of feeling crushed that told me once again that this was something different.

Tune in next time and find out why I had to get a new drivers license after our first kiss...
Link

Subscribe

4 comments:

Daniels5 said...

your to funny, I'm on pins and needles!

Julia said...

I can't wait for the next segment!

greenpanda419 said...

I'm thinking that this could be a sitcom......


I WANT PART 4!!

jacquelyn.shaw said...

"It was time for one of my favorite events of the year, the candle light Christmas Eve service at church. If you removed every other moment and trapping of the season it would still be Christmas for me if I got to sing Silent Night by candle light in the sanctuary of the church in Alexander."

i couldn't agree more.