Sunday, July 27, 2008

J-Man Turns 3

So J-Man picked up the hat trick today. Three years under the belt and he crossed the way-point sportin' a mighty fine mohawk. I spent most of today in preparation for the big shindig. The place was a total wreck and we had a dozen coming for dinner. It took all afternoon just to get the kitchen clean, and then I started in on getting the back yard ready. J-Man took a totally sweet nap and then was happy to chill in front of a Muppet movie till, all was ready.

He picked the menu himself, over a month ago. He wanted steak, steak sauce, rice, green beans, and black olives. I grilled enough steak to feed an army and we just ate and ate and ate. We topped it all off with ice cream sandwiches and cake topped with dancing penguins. He opened his presents with very little sibling interference and commenced to play with all the new swag.

The real highlight of the day though was when I decided to take a break after my second hour of doing dishes to load a J-Man retrospective into the digital photo frame. I spent half an hour in front of the computer reviewing his life. My wife has a camera glued to her hand at all times, so we have some well documented children.

I'll just come right out and admit that I got a little misty while watching those three years roll by. That devilish grin that I think he may have actually been wearing as he emerged into the air for the first time. All the crazy faces that keep us constantly amused. The real kicker was when I got to the folders from about six months ago, when his baby fat started to disappear and he started to look like a little man. It would be totally heart breaking if it wasn't for the fact that he get's exponentially cooler by the week.

I can't help but wonder what he'll be like when he's older. He's likely to be a hit with the ladies, that's for sure. Although he may loose points if he doesn't tone it down with the fart jokes a little. He's got time... I'm glad I keep remembering to pay good attention so it doesn't all go by in a blur.

And to J-Man:
Dude... you kill me! I just about pee my pants every time I look at you. You're the apple of my eye you little screwball. (I guess the screwball doesn't fall far from the tree.) The thing that kills me the most is how you never ever run out of material. Just when I'm ready to grab you by the ears and yell up your nose to try and get you to do something, you bust out with a new and ever more fabulous burst of priceless nonsense. I value nonsense and yours my boy... is top shelf.

I can't help but think about what you'll be like when you're 7 and 13 and 20. I imagine we'll butt heads a lot, but you're sure to survive if you can keep the one liners coming. The nerd in me shivers with delight at the cool-kid life you're going to have with that charm and that face. I'm going to re-live my childhood watching you, and I'm going to drink in what the version is like that's free from wedgies and book spills. And even when you turn into a teenage jerk, I'm probably still going to be laughing up my sleeve, even when I want to twist your head off.

And one more thing. I don't think you fully appreciate the magnificence of that mohawk, but you will... oh yes, you will.

Love,
Dad

No comments: